For a long time I have wanted to make something for my Mom, pretty much as soon as I learned to crochet, and then even more so once I learned to knit. Finding an appropriate pattern, however, is a different matter. I thought I had found what I wanted to do - a gorgeous Irish hiking shawl with lots of pretty details and cables. But when I went to buy the yarn for it, something about it just wasn't working so I decided to rethink it. I found the Cane Bay Wrap by Blue Sky Alpacas and purchased the pattern, the first pattern I ever actually paid money for. I then went to the Needle Emporium with my sister and found gorgeous Cascade 220 Worsted in a rich, dark blue-green called Regency.
Nope. That wasn't going to work either. I don't know if it was the pattern itself, or the combination of that yarn with that pattern, but it didn't work. Perhaps the wrap needed a lighter color, I'm not sure. I still love the look of it and will save it for the future, but it wasn't happening for this project. Back to the drawing board. Or Ravelry, as the case may be. After some scrounging around, I found Raised Eyebrow by Alice's Embrace. It was a simple repeat and looked interesting.
I ended up adapting the pattern a bit since I wanted a shawl or wide scarf, not a blanket. I also wanted a lacier look so I knitted normally, not with the yarn held double as the pattern called for. I knit along happily, discovering partway that I wasn't going to have enough yarn. I had purchased enough for the Cane Bay Wrap, and this was going to be bigger. I immediately called up Needle Emporium and they happened to have one skein left in the same dye lot that they shipped off right quick. Such great service!
No comments:
Post a Comment