Saturday, November 08, 2014

A Knitter's First Pattern

I feel like I have reached something of a milestone in my knitting.  Up to this point, I have followed patterns, sometimes altered them a bit for my own purposes, that sort of thing. But I had never written my own pattern.

Until now! (trumpets blowing)

Ha ha, now seriously, I have nothing on any of the glorious patterns available in copious amounts by the many talented knitters out there, but maybe this is a step towards being a little part of that.

Maybe in the future I will be seized by some bug of creativity that will result in a new pattern, but this one was done out of necessity. I wanted to knit something for the husband of the lovely lady I was planning on giving the pink linen stitch scarf so I could give them both something. I had four skeins of delicious black Fresco that I was itching to use.  I wanted to do a textured pattern, one that would be subtle and masculine.  There was a thought of a diamond sort of pattern rattling around in my head, but after several days of poking about on Ravelry, I couldn't find anything that was what I was looking for.

I knew I had some graph paper about somewhere.

Doodle, scratch, erase, puzzle, mark up again, erase, fiddle.  Rewrite, puzzle, fiddle some more.

It took me a while to hash out a simple pattern but after testing it I finally came up with a basic diamond pattern that turned out exactly the way I wanted.  :) Hard to see in the picture, but trust me, it worked.  :P


No comments:

Post a Comment