Saturday, February 21, 2015

Ironic musings

I had wanted to learn to knit a long time before I actually sat down and learned.  I loved the way knitted stitches looked, I liked the way the patterns formed, the versatility, the fabric created.  But there was one item I saw many years ago that I just had to make for myself that really got me motivated to learn how to knit for myself.  It was a beautiful blanket I saw someone using that was made of grey ragg, which is a type of yarn that has a color thread twisted with a white one.  It was so pretty and it stuck with me.

I learned to knit on some super cheap yarn I picked up at Michael's, the same stuff I had learned how to crochet on.  Horrible, scratchy, awful stuff.  But, knowing how to knit meant I could make my blanket.  I researched how much yarn I would need, what kind, what the color combination was called.  I went to Zellers, which had a great yarn selection, found huge balls of Bernat in a perfect grey ragg and bought three of them, more than enough to make a good-sized blanket.

I thought I should probably practice a bit first, get my technique down, my tension evened out.  So I started making scarves and other bits and pieces.  I got entirely sidetracked.  Now I am in a fit of sock knitting.  In going through my stash the other day to find my beginner sock yarn, guess what I found?

Yep, that grey ragg, the very yarn that first motivated me to start knitting in the first place. Still unused, still waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment